Hooray for Friday! It was a fast and fun first week of summer. We still all love each other and are getting along (most of the time). We’ve continued crossing things off our Summer Bucket List, and the secret is finally out about where we’re headed for summer vacation. Keep reading to find out and see what things caught my eye this week in today’s 5 on Friday.
Last week it was Memorial Day sales, and now it’s new summer arrivals. Here are some fun things I have my eye on:
Take 25% off your order at J.Crew with code YESPLEASE.
After I posted a pic on Instagram a couple of weeks ago, a sweet friend asked where I got my arms. I was flattered, of course, and then thought: I need to share my go-to 10-minute workout with you. The fact that my skinny noodle arms have any definition at all is quite flattering, but it’s also very intentional. I feel better when I’m toned, and this 10-minute workout keeps me that way.
I eat healthy (about 80% of the time- the other 20% is usually ice cream, Mexican food, and margaritas), and I do this simple routine at least 5 days a week. I try to do cardio 3-4 times a week, and my workout of choice every summer is the 21-Day Fix. I rotate through the workouts Monday-Friday, and even in 30 minutes, I always see good results.
On Friday, my mister shocked me by saying he wanted to go shopping. He wears scrubs to work every day, so his “dress” wardrobe is seriously lacking. I’m so glad we went to Nordstom because
I we found so many great pieces for him, along with lots of men’s clothes/shoes/accessories that would make perfect Father’s Day gifts. My Father’s Day Gift Guide hits the blog next week, but these pieces won’t be on sale then. Right now, some of them are 40% off.
A few years ago, I read an amazing book by a local (as in, she lives in my neighborhood) author named Kay Wyma: Cleaning House: A Mom’s 12-Month Experiment to Rid Her Home of Youth Entitlement.
Here’s the Amazon description:
Do your kids expect clean folded clothes to magically appear in their drawers? Do they roll their eyes when you suggest they clean the bathroom? By racing in to make their lives easy, have you unintentionally reinforced your children’s belief that the world revolves around them?
Dismayed at the attitude of entitlement that had crept into her home, Kay Wyma got some attitude of her own. Cleaning House is her account of a year-long campaign to introduce her five kids to basic life skills and the ways meaningful work can increase earned self-confidence and concern for others.
I’m all in favor of helping my kids learn independence and life skills, but I so often do the chores myself just so I can avoid arguments and whining. To help herself and all mamas get back on track this summer, Kay is starting a 6-week Cleaning House Boot Camp. I’m joining in, and I’d love to have some friends join with me.
We’re breaking from our annual Seaside, Florida tradition this year. It’s been our summer vacation spot since 2010. You can read about our past trips HERE.
Instead, we’re going to Maui! My mister and I planned the trip and have been keeping the secret for quite some time. Last week, we decided to surprise the kids with a little Hawaiian-inspired dinner to reveal the news. I set the patio table, and he grilled Hawaiian-style Teriyaki Chicken. It was delicious, and everyone is so excited.
All the cute party supplies are from Target’s Summer Soiree Collection. Even if you’re not going to Hawaii, they’d be perfect for summer parties, BBQs and happy hours. And you can never go wrong with Chocolate Covered Macadamia Nuts.
We honeymooned in Maui and then returned a few years ago for our 10th anniversary. If you have tips for traveling to Maui with kids, please send them my way. I’m also taking restaurant recommendations.
That’s all for this week, friends. I wish all of you a wonderful weekend!