Earlier this week, we talked about a yummy red, white and blue appetizer for your Fourth of July parties, and now it’s time to decide on the perfect patriotic outfit. Today’s post is all about Fourth of July style–with everything you need to look fun and festive, whether you’re at the pool/beach/lake or just enjoying a little picnic or cookout.
Fresh blueberries are one of my favorite things about summer. I love to eat them by the handful, and I add them to muffins, ice cream, and my family’s favorite Blueberry Crumble. If you’ve been reading this blog for any amount of time, you know I also love Mexican food. As I was trying to come up with a patriotic-themed recipe for the Fourth of July, I decided to add blueberries to a pretty traditional salsa recipe. And although it may sound odd, it works.
The blueberries add a delicious sweetness which mixes so well with the other flavors. Pair it with salty tortilla chips, and you’ve got yourself a tasty chip-and-dip combo that would be the perfect appetizer any time of year, but especially for your Fourth of July BBQs and picnics.
Happy Monday, friends! Father’s Day is on Sunday, so an alternative title for this post could be “Last Minute Father’s Day Gift Guide.” Why does this one always sneak up on me? One likely reason is because my hubby is not a huge gift person. It’s not his love language (at all), and his idea of a good Father’s Day is spending the weekend at the lake. And, he usually insists on doing the cooking.
However, I do have my own sweet dad to consider, and I’m sure many of you do, as well, so here are some great gift ideas for the men in your life. Bonus–most everything is available for Amazon Prime same-day shipping!
(1) TECHIE DAD/FORGETFUL DAD | Tile: Please tell me my mister isn’t the only one who can never find his keys or wallet. This happens at least once a week, and I’m thinking that even though he isn’t a gift person, he NEEDS this. It’s a tiny Bluetooth tracker that you attach to any item and then use the app to help locate it. Great for those keys, wallets, remotes, and everything else Dad can’t find. These come in a 4-pack for $70.
(2) ADVENTUROUS DAD | Herschel Supply Duffel Bag: This sturdy canvas duffel is perfect for Dad’s weekend adventures. For some reason, it doesn’t have the best reviews, but we have two of these and have loved them. The style is classic, and they come in tons of colors.
(3) EVERY DAD | RTIC Tumbler: This stainless steel tumbler is nearly identical to the Yeti one, but costs only $18! Lots of people have performed side-by-side comparisons and noted no overall differences between the two, and for this price you can also buy one for yourself. It keeps cold drinks cold and hot drinks hot. For a personalized gift, take it to your local engraving shop and have it monogrammed.
(4) FOODIE DAD | Williams Sonoma Seasonings: Summer is the best time for grilling, and these 4 rubs will lend yummy flavor to almost anything- beef, pork, chicken, fish and even grilled veggies. I bought a similar set of these for my husband one year, and he was so disappointed when we ran out. This set includes spicy Chili Lime, salty thyme and sage Smokehouse, smoky Sweet Onion Applewood (with hints of bacon!!) and peppery Classic Potlach. Yum.
(5) SPORTY DAD | Garmin Vivofit Active– The ultimate fitness tracker/smartwatch combined. My mister has always been a runner, but a recent MRI revealed he needs to stick to swimming and biking. This device would be perfect for those activities, and even golf. Dad can also pair it with his phone and get alerts for calls, texts, emails, etc. You can get it without or without a heart-rate monitor, and it’s currently $100 off. Don’t forget to add a screen protector to keep it pristine.
(6) STYLIN’ DAD/GOLFER DAD | Johnnie O Polo– This West Coast brand has been super popular in Dallas lately. This polo is classic, comes in great colors, and its moisture-wicking fabric is perfect for hot summers. From the golf course to date night, keep Dad looking stylish all season.
(7) BOOKWORM DAD | Five Presidents– A few years ago, I read Mrs. Kennedy and Me, the first book written by Clint Hill, and loved, loved, loved it. Mr. Hill is a former Secret Service agent who served 17 years protecting Presidents Dwight D. Eisenhower, John F. Kennedy, Lyndon B. Johnson, Richard M. Nixon, and Gerald R. Ford. This book tells the story of that time, covering a tumultuous era—the Cold War; the Cuban Missile Crisis; the assassinations of John F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Robert F. Kennedy; the Vietnam War; Watergate; and the resignations of Spiro Agnew and Richard M. Nixon. This would be a great summer read for any guy.
(8) LAID BACK DAD | Rainbow Sandals– On our first anniversary trip to California 11 years ago, my mister and I toured the Rainbow factory in San Clemente. It was such a cool place, and we both bought our first pair of Rainbows. You guys–we still wear them, and they’ve only gotten better with time. They’re super comfy and come in a ton of colors.
How’s that? Have I covered all the dad types? I originally wasn’t planning on buying anything for my mister, but after putting this together, I think there are several things he might really like…
I’ve always been an avid bookworm, but I’ll admit that I got off track this year. Between work and home and blogging and just wanting to watch Southern Charm and other mindless television at night (no judgment, please), I haven’t been reading nearly as much as I’d like.
It’s time to change that, and summer is the perfect time to pick up a good book or two or three. Between road trips, vacations, pool time and later bedtimes, I’m ready to get back into a reading habit. I’m sharing my Summer Reading List with you for two reasons: (1) to keep me accountable, and (2) to share some books for your own summer reading.
Hooray for Friday! I hope all of you have had a wonderful week. We’ve enjoyed our first week of summer break and have even crossed off some things on our summer bucket list. It’s been so nice not having to rush out the door for school every morning. And I’m not missing all the after-school activities.
We’ve got a few trips planned over the next few months, and with so many great sales happening right now, I’m hoping to add some vacation pieces to my closet. Here are 10 things on my summer wish list…